January Wrap up


January is over! Oh how time flies, I'll be starting Art school this March to study Graphic Design and I can't believe how around the corner that is! Anyways, here are the books I've read this past month. Six books is actually quite a lot for me, and none of them went under three stars so it's been a really good reading month. Here we go:

Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix by J.K Rowling
I started re reading the whole Harry Potter series back in December and I finished in mid January. I always love coming back to this world. I’ve been relying on the movie too much. I loved JK’s depiction of Sirius in this one, it’s much more mature and objective now that Harry is older. I feel like Cho has a smaller part in the books than she does in the movies, and I felt the same way while reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I was surprised by this! She’s so present in the movies. Oh and angsty Harry got on my nerves pretty quickly.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K Rowling
Dumbledore’s death hit me like a rock, I didn’t feel much for his death in the movies or the first time I read HBP, but damn, I cried. He’s such a complex and intriguing character and it’s hard to see him go. I was so emotional! I also started shipping Harry and Ginny. Again, I was relying too much on the movies, and their relationship there is awkward, kind of stupid and poorly built. But here, oh the shipper feels!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K Rowling
I re read this one a few times, as well as all the books to be honest, and I still can’t believe Harry’s story is over. I finished this like I finished it the first time I read it: with tears in my eyes. Back in 07, when it was first published, I thought the Epilogue thingy was 100% unnecessary and Hollywood-ish but now that a few years have gone by, I’m glad we have a little something of Harry’s future to go from.

The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan
I didn’t enjoy this one as much as I thought I would, but it was okay. I think the characters need a little bit of work, but other than that I really enjoyed their personalities. Also, yay for diversity! Magnus’ voice felt pretty similar to 12-year-old Percy’s, and that was my main problem. Magnus is supposed to be 16 and yet I kept picturing him like a pre-teen. The story was also pretty similar to Percy’s origin, but I enjoyed learning about Norse mythology. It was a funny and entertaining story with some cameos from the Percy Jackson books, I’ll leave at that.

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
On the contrary, I liked Carry On more than I thought I would. I understand the similarities with Harry Potter can put some people off, but I still think Rainbow managed to make her characters and the world they live in quite unique. I think the romance went a little fast but considering this is a stand alone, I could live with that. Baz and Penny were my favorites, and Agatha too. I know a lot of people hated her but I thought she was bold in her own way and wasn’t mistaken to put herself first. I would recommend this to anyone urging for a fast paced fantasy book.

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
I’m not going to lie, my expectations for this one were low. And at first, I thought I was right to have these low expectations. The batting of eyelashes, constant reminders of Celaena’s beauty and her obsession with appearances drove me crazy. Fortunately, the story grew into itself and turned out to be pretty amazing. I loved the mystery, the magic, the lovely representation of female friendship and I actually enjoyed the love triangle. Team Chaol forever, by the way.

Did you guys read any of these babies? Let me know in the comments if you did, if you wish to do so and your opinion on them! Cheers,

Mica
You may also like:

2 comments

  1. I've had literally the worst reading month! Hopefully February will be a better month, books-wise for me. But I loved reading your reviews anyway! I'm so pumped for Throne of Glass :D xx
    www.gabriellaloves.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I hate when that happens! I'm glad you enjoyed my reviews and you should totally read Throne of Glass! Also, I love your blog!

      Delete

© Pastel Books. Design by MangoBlogs.